October 24, 2011

Sketch Book 9: Joe Mad Study Cover Design Badies


This is one of the cover variants of Ultimates 3 #1.  The pencils were originally pencilled by Joe "Mad" one of my most favorite American artists.  He is one of the more fortunate artists who was able to start illustrating for Marvel at such a young age.  In any case, this is just a photo of a pencil study I did of his cover art.  It was a good study of learning how he does his cross hatching and pencil techniques.  I also learned a few new tricks of pencilling and felt like giving it a test drive.  The result was a success!  Unfortunately, this is such a large pic I wasn't able to scan it.  It's just a low quality pic from my camera which doesn't do it justice.  Fortunately, I just found a large format printer near by and some time soon, I will be scanning this in at 600dpi, which I'm excited for :D

I will also be doing the alternate variant cover for Ultimates 3 #1 which is all of the good fellas and chicas.  I just wanted to do the badies first.  This pencil drawing took about 8-10 hours.  I think that is a good pace.  Though, I doubt I can go that fast at the moment working on a design from scratch.  But, word on the street is your making good time if you can finish a page a day in the professional world.  Though, I think that's slow - but then again I think that goes for the American comic industry.  I think in the Japanese manga world you need to be able to finish a spread or two a day, perhaps more if possible.  But, then again, they don't have as much detail per page as most American style comics generally.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on this! Let's see it digitally colored/rendered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete