October 27, 2011

The Sea Fairy Kingdom Project 1


This is a sketch for an illustration commission I'm working on for my brother and his wife.  It's going to end up being a very large picture to hang above their sofa in their living room.  It's going to be a tryptic, meaning it will be divided into three separate frames when printed.  The reason is that it's supposed to be 3 feet tall, and 6 feet wide!  Pretty huge!  Originally, I was going to paint this on wood with oil paint, but calculating the cost, I decided against it.  Also, because I don't have much experience with that medium, and there is much I can do digitally.  Had to purchase a new graphics card  in the process of this illustration, btw.


I liked the sketch I originally made, and started to flesh out the concept of how the painting was going to end up.  I'm just focusing on separating things by color in this step of the design process.


I now have cleaned up much of the sketchy lines that were from the original sketch.

No comments:

Post a Comment